Improving Oral Health: Dental Care for Teens
If dental damage incurred in the teen years goes untreated, it can follow us into adulthood, which is just one reason dental care is so important during the teen years. General dentistry treatments can repair dental damage and help prevent new problems from occurring, helping teen patients keep their smiles healthy and happy for years to come. Drs. Sharon B. Mateja and Brenda Kueckels make dental care for teens a priority at their Rancho Cucamonga, CA practice. We welcome you to schedule a consultation for your personalized treatment plan. In the meantime, discover dental care tips for teens in this overview.
The Importance of Teen Dental Care
Teens who regularly drink acidic, sugary soft drinks are at increased risk of tooth erosion and decay while those who play sports may damage the teeth in a sports-related injury. Many teens are also left to take responsibility of their oral hygiene routine but may not be as thorough as they need to be. Dental care is vital to protecting the oral health of teens so they may enjoy a healthy smile into adulthood. These dental care tips can help teens protect their smiles from dental damage and oral health problems.
- Brush and floss: Good oral hygiene begins with brushing at least twice a day and flossing at least once a day.
- Limit sugary, acidic foods and drinks: Reduce the risk of tooth erosion and decay by limiting or avoiding sugary, acidic foods and drinks.
- Rinse the mouth with water after meals: Rinsing the mouth with water after meals and between brushings helps remove leftover bits of food and neutralizes acids within the mouth, reducing the risk of tooth erosion and decay.
- Schedule regular dental exams and cleanings: Regular dental exams and cleanings should occur at least once every six months and are important for catching oral health problems early and keeping the teeth free from plaque and tartar buildup.
- Wear a mouth guard when playing sports: Wearing a mouth guard while playing sports can help protect the teeth from injuries, like chips, fractures, or tooth loss.
Popular Dental Treatments for Teens
Aesthetically pleasing treatments are particularly important for teen patients not only because it's during the teen years that most people become aware of their appearance, but also because the permanent teeth are usually in place by this time. These popular treatments can help teens enjoy a beautiful, healthy smile for years to come.
- Tooth-colored fillings: Teens who suffer from dental cavities can enjoy restored dental health and appearance with tooth-colored fillings. Tooth-colored fillings blend seamlessly with the surrounding tooth for a flawless finish.
- Porcelain veneers: Teens that suffer from chipped teeth, whether from playing sports, skateboarding, or simply roughhousing, may benefit from porcelain veneers. Porcelain veneers are thin fabrications that fit over the front surface of the front-facing teeth, masking dental flaws.
- Invisalign®: Invisalign® allows teens to experience the benefits of orthodontics with discreet, comfortable treatment. Invisalign® uses a series of clear trays to gradually align the teeth.
- Traditional orthodontics: Traditional orthodontics can correct mild to severe alignment issues, making them one of the most popular treatments for teen patients. Traditional orthodontics uses a bracket and wire system to properly position the teeth for improved aesthetics and oral health.
Schedule a Consultation
To receive your personalized treatment plan, or for more information about teen dental care, we welcome you to contact our team.