Porcelain veneers are durable prosthetics that can mask dental flaws and dramatically transform the smile.
The porcelain that is used to make veneers is strong, closely mimicking the strength and appearance of the natural teeth. This provides Dr. Sharon B. Mateja’s patients with a more attractive smile for many years.
Just how long porcelain veneers last for our Rancho Cucamonga, CA, patients depends on avoiding certain bad habits and practicing good aftercare.
Porcelain Veneers Can Last Over a Decade
Porcelain veneers are durable dental prosthetics. Patients should expect porcelain veneers to last between 10 to 15 years. However, the exact lifespan of porcelain veneers will vary depending on a number of factors, the most important being their aftercare.
Although veneers are durable, they can chip and crack like the natural teeth. Without proper care, veneers can become damaged and may need replacement earlier than expected.
Avoid Certain Habits to Protect Porcelain Veneers
Habits that can damage the natural teeth can also damage veneers, drastically reducing their lifespan. Accordingly, it is important for our Rancho Cucamonga patients with veneers to avoid habits like:
- Chewing on hard non-food items: Chewing on hard, non-food things, like pen caps, finger nails, and plastic straws, can chip or damage porcelain veneers.
- Biting hard foods: Biting hard foods, like corn nuts, hard candies, and ice, can also chip or fracture porcelain veneers. If porcelain veneers become damaged, they will need to be replaced.
- Using the teeth as tools: Using the teeth as tools is risky for teeth whether they are treated with porcelain veneers or not. Avoid prying open packages, biting things apart, or using the teeth to cut things because this can damage veneers.
- Skipping brushing and flossing: Regularly skipping brushing and flossing the teeth increases the risk of tooth decay, even in teeth treated with porcelain veneers. Decay can develop at the gum line and on the back of the teeth, areas not covered by porcelain veneers. If this happens, veneers may need to be removed in order to treat the decay.
Proper Aftercare Can Help Porcelain Veneers Last 10 Years or Longer
Properly caring for porcelain veneers is essential for prolonging their lifespan and it is as easy as caring for the natural teeth. With regular care and maintenance, porcelain veneers can last 10 years or longer. These tips can help:
- Practice good oral hygiene: Practicing good oral hygiene, including brushing twice a day and flossing once a day, is an important way to keep the teeth and gums healthy while also helping to keep veneers looking their best.
- See your dentist every six months: Regular dental exams are good for catching any signs of damage to veneers or the natural teeth early.
- Don't bite hard foods or non-food items: In addition to keeping the teeth and gums healthy, the life of porcelain veneers can be prolonged by avoiding biting or chewing on hard things that can damage them, like fingernails, metal pen caps, and steel straws.
Schedule a Consultation
For more information about porcelain veneers, or to find out if treatment is right for you, we welcome you to call (909) 989-5959 and schedule a consultation.